Saturday, October 18, 2008

Stan Hywett & Hale Farm

-- Cyrus Sethna --

I just stole the idea of the name thing from Ashley, but somehow I don't think that she'll mind.

A historic interpreter and a tour guide both serve the same purpose, but work towards the common goal with different methods. I felt that at Stan Hywet (hereafter referred to as SH) we were shown around by a tour guide (despite his claim that he was an interpreter) and at Hale Farm (henceforth referred to as HF) we encountered Historic Interpreters.

At SH, the guide that we had simply showed us around the place and told us about what we were looking at. Once in the attic, he tried to do some acting, but I saw that as a rather poor attempt to mimick historical figures.

At HF, the majority of the persons that we encountered (save for the saurkraut fellow) were historic interpreters. The best kind were the sort that dressed their part and were able to perform the tasks that they would have historically. There were a few that felt it was necessary to talk in funny voices and speak in a provincial manner, but I found that they had to try too hard to do it and it detracted from the overall experience. However, I felt that these people all meet the requirements to be a "historic interpreter" because they are actually doing some interpreting of history (each interpreter had to properly understand their trade and how what they would have done would contribute to the society of the past).

With a tour guide, one gets a straightforward presentation of the facts as we received at SH. They tell you what it was like, what things were for, and how things were used. You use your brain and store the information, much as I do in class.

When one encounters an interpreter, one can see firsthand exactly what the person is talking about, and it has a much different effect. I feel that it helps some people (like myself) better understand what they are learning, and for others it probably doesn't make much of a difference.

A self-guided tour should have almost the same impact on a visitor as a guided tour, provided that the visitor is not a dolt and the tour guide knows what he or she is doing. If the visitor can read, think for itself, and has a fair pre-existing understanding of what it is looking at, then I think that this visitor would do just fine on a self-guided tour and might, in fact be slightly bored on a guided tour. There are always advantages to going on a tour with a guide however. A visitor cannot know everything and is bound to have some questions that he or she cannot answer on her own. On the other hand, this issue could be resolved with knowledgeable visitor service aids or docents.

I think I would prefer to live in the past provided that I was capital as opposed to labor. I could exploit my workers and profit immensely from the fruits of their labors. I could build a huge house where I could scare my wife without fear of her recourse and have affairs with other women and beat them all liberally.

7 comments:

Alphie said...

Thief!

Just kidding. =p

Nice paper, you answered all the questions and it wasn't so much like an essay (unlike mine).

=)

--Ashley--

First Knight said...

I think you exagerate in your final paragraph, but make an important distinction between the capitalist and his labor. We saw a lot about the lives of the servants. I was pleasantly surprised that the Seiberlings treated their servants so well. I should mention that Stan Hywet does give the option to tour the main rooms of the house and grounds with recorded guides like you can get at art museums. Maybe that is a better way for people to experience what they have to offer?

Jazz Dingo said...

The guide saying he was an interpreter was rather post-humorous, in my opinion.


And yes, you weren't stalked, but me, Ash and Justin were all stalked by some scary lady. Whenever we had like, just totally random questions toward each other, she'd interject like we were serious. Or she'd make us follow her into another room.

Unknown said...

Cyrus I think it is bad that i can actually see you going through with your plans as to how you would live back then.

little miss laura said...

Cyrus, you're awful...*trying not to grin and laugh*

Nicely worded paper. I think I'm going to try to say henceforth at sometime in the next week. =P

Andreas Johansson said...

Here's the quote I like best: "If the visitor can read, think for itself,..." Hmmm. If, I guess, is the key question here. Funny, very witty, and I think, a great example of keen observations. Like the rest, well composed, easy to read, and nicely structured. See more in separate post by me later tonight...

Lienne said...

I agree that if someone has enough prior knowledge, they would enjoy a self-guided tour so they could figure out the past by themselves.