Monday, October 20, 2008

Stan Hywet and Hale Farm

The difference between the interpreter and the guide had a lot to do with how much I enjoyed each experience. At Stan Hywet, the guide showed us the past of the house and gave us facts and information on how life was in that time period, which was a lot more innovative than Hale Farm because of the greater span of technology emerging. At Hale farm, the interpreters made us live the experience and all of the people there were really enthusiastic and detailed about the lives they were interpreting. The time period at Hale farm was more friendly and comfortable. I think that might have to do with understanding the way they lived back then better than at Stan Hywet. I would prefer living in that time period because I felt like I understood it better after hearing the interpreters and it was a lot more plain and simple.
Modern technology somewhat interfered in Stan Hywet. Even though the guide told us not to pay attention to the desk and computer, it was hard to not notice. Also, he mentioned that a good portion of the items like vases were donated and not part of the original house. This also might be true of Hale Farm. Hale Farm, though, had less impact from modern technology.
I really enjoyed this trip but I would have preferred more time at both places, especially outside at Stan Hywet. We spent most of the time inside, which could be done in winter when it would be good to be inside, but while the weather is nice I like to be outside. I had never been to Hale Farm before and really enjoyed it.

5 comments:

First Knight said...

I agree with the sentiment about being outdoors whenever possible. The grounds at Stan Hywet are so beautiful. The grounds and gardens at Hale Farm are incredible too. The one thing I wanted to do more of is to see what they were growing there. Most of the harvest was done. I guess we need to go back at another time. Things do seem simpler about the way they lived 200 years ago, but somehow I think life was tough then too - just different.

Unknown said...

I think that Stan Hywet should really try to make the home just lie it was when it was built. I belive it would have more of an affect on people.

Lienne said...

Running out of time at Stan Hywet was disappointing especially in the beautiful gardens but I enjoyed spending the time at Hale Farm as well. I agree that displaying the donated items instead of the original decorations at Stan Hywet was a let down however, I see the fear of leaving the "real" vases, tables, chairs, ect. around for bad mannered guests to tamper with.

little miss laura said...

I totally agree with you on the whole computer thing..that was kind of annoying. I also wish they hadn't told us about the donated stuff. I think I would've enjoyed it more.

Andreas Johansson said...

The time issue is important to us. It's always hard to plan for an entire group, to make sure all needs are met, etc. In the future, based on your comments, we'll be able to make the trips even better. In addition, we meet after each trip to discuss the good and bad. Thanks for the input!