Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Biking in the Valley

Leading my group was definitely a troubling experience. I ended up with several of the girls that were friends with Cyrus' group, , but they kinda ended up mixing together along the way. Anyway, I can not for the life of me figure out why those girls were there in the first place. I had one person have to stop and walk her bike for a short while about 3 miles into the trip.

None of them seemed to realize that they would actually have to be biking on this bike trip, let alone for thirteen miles. They all seemed to be under the impression that their bikes would just pedal themselves the whole way, and that they would have no problem getting on the internet on their phone and doing god knows what in the middle of the ride. The culprit in that particular incident ended up crashing into one of her friends, who proceeded to bleed from the leg and scream loudly. They refused to follow simple instructions that would do nothing but benefit them and the other users of the towpath.

A simple request like "keep it single file so you don't hit anyone coming the other way" was met with one particularly funny girl who shall remain nameless weaving all over the path just to spite the little authority I was attempting to gain over the situation. She crashed. I must admit that I was not unhappy to see her go down at that point, but I digress.

Overall, after the group was thinned down to the few that actually cared, the trip was very nice. The scenery was really cool when I had finally gotten the chance to notice it, instead of trying to get my group to follow simple instructions all day.

I would definitely do it again, because it was a really cool experience, but I would have to ask that I be with a group with a collective IQ of over 65. Fun times.

4 comments:

Jeff said...

Wow, great post, best one I've seen all day.

First Knight said...

You graded your post as the best one you have seen? I hope so! Actually, it is well thought out and well written. I wish you and Cyrus would have had a better experience with those on your teams. If you have any suggestions for student leaders next year that would be appreciated.

Sethna said...

Best post? I'd say second best. Cyrus' was better.

Axel said...

haha sounds like an exciting time good post, funny i couldent go but if i did i would have been worried to lead a group on my own my leadership skills needs work heh.