Thursday, October 23, 2008

Stan Hywet and Hale Farm

I think the experience of learning from a first person historic interpreter was a very interesting experience, and I think I prefer it to a historical tour guide. With a first person historic interpreter, you see things more from the point of view that they people of the time saw them, which makes the experience much more genuine. A historical tour guide simply presents the facts in the same manner that a textbook would, instead of a real-life account of what actually would be going on.

Despite my preference for a first person historic interpreter, I believe that the method of self-discovery is a very good way to learn about places like Stan Hywet. It allows us to explore places that may or may not be covered on the tour, and draw our own conclusions from what we see, which I think is an excellent learning method.

The 21st century is not exactly hard to miss in a place like Stan Hywet, with the computers, fire alarms, and fire extinguishers sitting around in random places, and Hale farm has the obvious gift shop. I believe I would be most comfortable living around the time of the Stan Hywet recreation, since I am very reliant on modern conveniences, and Stan Hywet seemed to have a significantly larger amount of these than Hale Farm. In my opinion, not much is really worse now than back then. Technology has only benefited us, and we don't exactly have any more or less problems, just different ones. Things like medical care would be an obvious downside to living back then.

4 comments:

First Knight said...

Good recognition of the difficulties of life in all eras. We are used to the ways of life today and would struggle to adjust back then, however they were custom to their ways and would find many of the ways we do things today troubling. I like the way you said different, not value judgement, just different. The same things can be said for other cultures today.

Andreas Johansson said...

Yeah, I like the observation of 21st century. What exactly is the role of a historical place? What's their duty to us, the observers? To show historically accurate data, or sell gift paraphernalia and other merchandise? I guess the it's in the eye of the beholder, as they say... How are 'they'? Not sure... :-)

Sethna said...

Wow Mr. Deep Thought. Good work.

I definitely have to agree with you in pretty much all areas. The problems of society are changing.

I have the solution to all of them though. We, as humans, should live more like ostriches.

Axel said...

haha..... ostriches. but in all seriousness i agree with you to