Thursday, October 23, 2008

Ride Through the Valley

-- Cyrus Sethna --

What was it like to be a team leader? First let me start of by stating that I have been a class officer for the last two years and I have been a member of Leadership Council for my entire High School Career. I would consider myself to be quite well-versed with the ropes of High School leadership.

I am sure that there were some very successful groups and leaders that were able to make a very positive impact on their constituents. However, the group that I was designated to lead consisted of some of the most unintelligent people that I have ever had the misfortune to meet. The sole reason that they chose to come on this trip was for the extra-credit points promised to them by their mysteriously absent teacher. These individuals needed the extra-credit because they are inherently lazy and incapable of keeping up with regular class work.

I was almost entirely unable to convey any "expertise" to my group due to their lack of motivation and drive to do anything for themselves. I rarely lose my temper, and I found myself doing so on a number of occasions throughout the ride. This was really the only way that I was able to get through to this giggling gaggle of girls.

This was a horrible experience for me as a quality student. I came expecting to be able to better myself and learn something. However, I was dumped with the task of educating students, some of whose teachers completely failed to show up and take responsibility for. They certainly did not have the desire to learn, and I was completely unable to make any sort of impact on them.

I do not have time for other people's nonsense. I enroll in classes to make myself a better person, not to make sure that everyone else is too. It is my responsibility as a leader to help my fellow students, not to babysit them.

6 comments:

Alphie said...

*hugs*

At least you got rid of most of them when they wimped out and called their parents early.

Also, it was a great day for biking outside!

Think positive. =)

First Knight said...

I'm sorry that the experience was so disappointing for you, and I realize that you were not able to enjoy and learn any new information for yourself on the ride, but perhaps the greatest gain were the interpersonal skills you refined and reflection you have jsut done. I'm sure there will be people who are not qualified or are irritating that you have to work with someday. Thanks for your efforts. The "giggling gaggle of girls" may have learned more than you realized

Unknown said...

Cy-Guy I am very sorry about your group. I know that you're a strong leader and any other group would have appreciated you being their leader.

Anna C said...

That must have been very frustrating to have to teach people who don't want to learn. I actually do know how that feels being a kids class tae-kwon-do leader (5 year olds don't really want to learn to kick and punch), and I can relate. But at least you tried! :-)

Andreas Johansson said...

Wait... I was there... Some of those girls were mine, Cyrus, and from their expressions Monday morning, you made quite an impression on them!

Remember, life's a struggle. Some struggle more than others. Why not help those in need with a smile on your face? You did well - at least the times when I went by your group. I'm sure you didn't mind the scenery of the trip, either...?

There will be plenty of time for you to shine this year. Thank you for your patience!

Jeff said...

I feel your pain.