Friday, September 26, 2008

Unemployed in 1930

While I once found myself living a happy life, I must say the times have changed. One day that ruined it all, that's when it started. Six weeks later from that day I now find myself with my family living on the streets. We used to live in the city, a place where people went to school, had fun times, but not really anymore. We're broke, everyone's broke.
I heard of an opportunity though, a good one. I can leave my family and go work out in the country. By doing this I will be making 5 dollars a week, and then I can send the money home. Maybe things will turn around for my family. I'll have a job the kids will be able to go to school, and maybe even one day i could buy a house for me, my wife, and my kids. I just want the best for all of us. To get out of this depression would be a miracle.
This job I heard of, they will train me. It's great then afterward I will be able to go use my experience elsewhere. This isn't gonna be an easy job but it's what I have to do. It's the only thing i can do to deal with what has gone on in the government. Those guys don't know what they are doing. First everything is perfectly fine and then it all goes away, just like that. Something most had worked their whole life for.
TO think that I am only 33, imagine about those who are 50. They lost everything, everything that they had worked their whole lives for. As I get ready to leave, I am thinking about it over and over again, but now I have to go and fix it. I am leaving the city for camp to find a job, I will do whatever it takes.

George

5 comments:

First Knight said...

Did you know that your character would be quite rare if he lost all his money in the stock market crash? Very few Americans were invested. It took some time for the losses to filter down to main street. It makes me consider the current turmoil on wall street today, except more people are leveraged and a higher percent have money invested.

Sethna said...

Interesting character, Hoover was still the president 6 weeks after October 29, 1929. So the government wasn't really doing anything to help people at this point in time.

Very nice journal Jeremy.

Lienne said...

Cyrus is right. President Hoover didn't do much to help the victims of the Depression. A probable factor that lost him the re-election.

First Knight said...

In light of the bailout package and a presidential election, do you see any similarities? Are there lessons/solutions from the Depression/New Deal that should be considered for today?

Jeff said...

Excellent journal.