Saturday, September 27, 2008

My new life

Today is not only the 6th of April 1934, it is also the first day of my new life.
This was the first day in five years I actually have a real job. I have been looking for jobs constantly ever since the stock market crashed in 1929. I used to live with my family, my wife and our two children, in the city. I do not live with them anymore. Our first child died soon after we had to move out from were we used to live, a not very fancy apartment, but still an apartment, to live with my uncle. He lives in an old house, were the water is dripping from the roof and rats are snoring under our beds.
My second child, left with my wife. I can not blame her for what she did when she left me for a new man wealthier.
I used to work in a meatpacking factory, but they could not afford to keep me employed.
The first time I heard about this program was when a friend told me. I signed up for it as soon as possibly, without knowing exactly what it all was about. All I know is that the new president is a great man. And finally we have someone who sees the problems and do something about them.
So now, thanks to that man, am I lying in a big tent exhausted after a good days work, whit 25 other men who, like me, have got a new chance in life. I do not earn much for what I do, but every single penny that I earn will I save. Because this is the first day of my new life, and it is going to be the best life of my life.

4 comments:

First Knight said...

Love the take on how difficult this man's life was. Life like that would make an exhausing day's work feel like hope.

Lienne said...

I like the way I can actually feel sorry for your character even when he's fictional.

Andreas Johansson said...

This is a nice piece of writing. For someone who's native language is not English, you do a great job structuring the story, including bits of fiction woven into the mix!

Jeff said...

very sad story, but your character seems to be filled with hope, as I'm sure many were when they learned about Roosevelt's relief programs.