Friday, September 26, 2008

Journey for a Job in the 30's

It's 1935 and I am lined up alongside many others waiting for their free coffee and donuts also. As are many I am unemployed and in a tight situation. My name is Benjamin and like many others i have lost everything. My home and my money, it's not very pleasant. I am 29 and have a wife and two kids. They love me as i do them that's why i am leaving home soon. I have to do it to make things right.
I do have an advantage over some, which is i am very good at hard manual labor, and i can learn skills quickly. So i am leaving to go to the country, get out of the city where everything is failing. I hope that i can find a job so that i can send money home. I lost everything in the crash. all but the 5 i had from my last pay check was gone. I think that the government and the leaders of the White House are the one's to blame for this failure. So many people suffered a substantial loss. Now we are all paying for it. With our suffering, hopefully this whole nightmare will end soon.
Once I am able to find a job i can start to save up some money. Then maybe i can start looking towards the future and what i can do to get out of the whole problem. One day i may be able to buy a house or own some property where my family and I can all live without worries. Live the American dream is all i want to do, the dream that everyone wants. I am getting ready to leave now, hopefully it all turns out alright.

Benjamin

5 comments:

Jeremy said...

This was actually posted by Evan on Jeremy's log in

First Knight said...

It is interesting that your character blames the government for the problems of the Depression. It is true that there were some famous critics of the government during that day but historically speaking, it is way more likely for people to blame government today that it was in the 1930s. It was more likely that people of that generation would blame themselves. Turning to the government for balme or solutions is a fairly recent phenomenon.

Sethna said...

I don't think that the depression was entirely the fault of the government. Speculation was responsible for the majority of the problem. However, the Hoover administration's failure to realize that free market practices are not always the answer to all problems certainly contributed significantly to the depression.

Lienne said...

The government wasn't the sole cause of the Depression. But President Hoover's administration failing to provide any solutions hurt many Americans.

Jeff said...

Yes, the government was a lot less in control of financial markets back then, and the average person would not blame it for the crash.