Friday, September 26, 2008

Reflection of the Day: 9/20

I really enjoyed this trip. The day was fun, very informative, and an overall great learning experience. It really gave us an opportunity to experience things through the Valley Voyages class that we may have not had the chance to do otherwise, and I expect future trips to provide the same. I liked having the chance to use the high quality equipment to document our trip, although even without it, I would have had a lot of fun on the trip. The orienteering was very fun, although I'd have liked to do it a bit more competitively, instead of just a walk through the woods most of the time.

I think although the binders were an effective way to document the fact that we were learning on this trip, I think, overall, they detracted from the experience a little bit, having to look around for certain little things, instead of taking the whole scene of the woods in at once.

As for a fix of the aforementioned problem, I think I may prefer a post-expedition worksheet, that still gives a good example of what we learned on the trip, but doesn't take away from the experience while it's going on.

I learned a lot about Virginia Kendall and the surrounding area; Where it is now, how it got there, and everything in between. I learned much about the landscape, including some incredible natural phenomena, as well as the man-made structures, and the general hilarity of scratching a few edits onto a waste receptacle message. I knew very little about the actual projects of the CCC before this trip, and now I have seen some of them in the flesh (read: wormy chestnut).

As I said before, I was not completely fond of the binders. I believe that they may have taken away a little bit from the experience, but there is no doubt that they did a fairly effective job of documenting our progress. As for the cameras, I thought they were a great addition to the trip, and offered, in my opinion, an even better way to document, record, and in the future, remember the trip and the things we were able to experience.

5 comments:

First Knight said...

Is there another way we could collect data on the daily learning experience of VV other than carrying around the binder? We need to collect this data for justification to the grant. Because we won't always be sitting in a circle discussing topics we need some way to here from you what you are experiencing while we are out in the field. Help us find a better way.

Anna C said...

I like Jeff's idea of a post-expedition worksheet because it seems to allow for focus on the event during the event and then giving feedback about the experience afterwards as a reflection. But I don't really know what the worksheet was about so maybe it would be better to work on it during the experience. It seems there is a lot of controversy over the binders adn worksheets.

Sethna said...

While the binder's may be a bit burdensome, I am starting to see their necessity. For 5000 bucks, I think that we can do it.

Lienne said...

I also do not mind doing a little work just so we can have more money to work with in the future.

Axel said...

i agree with lienne the work was some what challanging but over all it was worth it because i had a great time