Friday, January 30, 2009

Voyages of University Circle

I thoroughly enjoyed our field trip to University Circle, I felt that this trip enriched us with a lot of information not just about the Cuyahoga Valley but instead the town that we actually live in. I must say I think it was very nice of the librarian to plan ahead of time with the pictures and information about Northfield Center.

After going to the Library I decided to go to the Crawford Auto Museum. I can say that I have been there before but it was such a long time ago. I definitely see the museum from a different perspective now as a driver (thank you power steering!) It is interesting to see all of the old cars and how we went from super huge cars to compact and efficient. Now automakers are just trying to go right back as many of them see how many passengers they can fit in their new gas saving SUV crossover. Another side note many of these old cars are made of materials that crushed very easily, while the amount of traffic was nothing near our time, if you were in a car crash chances for you were not good.

While at the museum I had the opportunity along with my brother of talking with one of the museum's workers. He was very knowledgable on the topics and different cars of the auto industry in Cleveland. One of the questions that we asked him was which one of the cars wast the most expensive in the museum. I cannot remember the model but it was worth approximately 1.2 Million Dollars. The Car was made right here in Cleveland. The reason it is worth so much is that it was built by hand of aluminum. It was only driven once by the designer to California and back and then placed in a garage. While in storage the designer decided to carry out his career in another business field with no further use or need for the car. Years late it was then donated to the Crawford Auto Museum which is where it still remains.

If I were Museum Curator for the Crawford Auto Museum I would not change much. One thing that I would change though is to incorporate more newer cars into the museum. Part of the exhibit that I enjoyed were the three Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep concept cars that were located in the downstairs. I think that having these models showed a more diverse collection rather than just all old cars. It also showed how far along that the cars have come since they were first created.

Another thing while touring the Auto museum that I noticed is how many of the cars were made right here in Cleveland. Most of these companies are not around anymore, but it mad me woonder how many extra jobs that was in our economy when those companies were open for business. They also all used American mad supplies in their automobiles. The steel came from cleveland etc. This is what America has lost in my opinion in today's cars and other products.
After visiting both the Auto Museum and the Library I bleieve I may do my project and relate it to the original CLeveland Auto Industry compared with the current one and the recession (yes Mr. Testa I said recession) that they are all facing.

5 comments:

little miss laura said...

Whoa...was it worth $1.2 million then or now? Either way, that's a lot!! (yeah, I know...pretty obvious.)

Sethna said...

Only girls use power steering. All the hardcore kids, like me, drain their power steering fluid.

Jeff said...

Yeah, and then those hardcore kids break their front axle.

First Knight said...

I like the way you brought in the way several industries are interrelated. There have been numerous stroies lately about how if the auto industry continues to fail, all the support will dry up. They will shut down places that make steel, plastic, rubber, cloth, the machine shops, and wiring, etc. If those places close down permenantly the auto manufacturers won't be able to retool when the economy turns around. Yes, we are officially in arecession.

Axel said...

thats really cool that car thats worth millions and how it ended up in the museum. seems like there was alot to learn at the Crawford Auto museum