Friday, January 30, 2009

University Circle Museums

I visited the Western Reserve Historical Society Museum and the Crawford Auto Museum. I found the Crawford Auto Museum most engaging, even though cars aren't exactly my favorite thing. It was really fascinating to see how much cars have evolved over the years, from very simple, frustrating to use, slow, impractical vehicles to the complicated, easy to use, and vital machines that they are today. If I were curator of the museum, the first thing I would do to make the museum better would be to organize the cars in a more chronological order. It would be interesting to see a physical timeline of how cars have evolved over the years, but instead, they were kind of strewn about the museum randomly. Many of the vehicles in the museum were probably made utilizing some kind of major Cleveland industry, whether it be steel manufacturing, or coal mining, or perhaps Sherwin Williams has a line of auto body paints.

The materials that were available for use in the Western Reserve Historical Society Archives were really a great resource. I was able to use the computerized census data to find information on my great grandfather and his family, when my grandparents on that side of my family had been dead for 30 years. The archival data available for use was very helpful in my understanding of the valley, and the surrounding region of northeastern Ohio. I learned the language that my great grandfather and his neighbors spoke in the home, what type of job was most popular, how long each had been a citizen, and many other enlightening pieces of information.

6 comments:

little miss laura said...

That surprises me that the cars weren't in chronological order. I definitely would've put them that way..it makes more sense because, as you said, one could see how they've changed.

That's cool about your grandfather and learning what language he spoke...where was he from?

Alphie said...

It would have been nice if they were in chronological order and maybe had a little information on each car.

Very interesting about the information you found.

Sethna said...

Wow Jeff, you're on time.

Kudos my friend. Kudos.

Anna C said...

That is a very good idea to organize the cars in chronological order. I wouldn't have thought of that. Maybe that's something you could do for a final project? And that's great that you could research your family and find out so much.

Lienne said...

I fifth the idea to create a physical time line of the change of cars.

First Knight said...

Don't forget that those tires were made in Akron - the rubber capital of the world. Until the 1980s about 75% of the worlds tires were manufactured right here in Northeastern Ohio. I bet if you scanned those archives in Akron you would find that 1 in 4 people worked in the tire industry.

A note to all of you. We bought passes for your return to the archives for the nest 3 months.