Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Botanical Gardens

I went to the Botanical Gardens for lunch and to explore around a bit (and I got to talk to the head of horticulture or something to that effect and I got the contact info for two people to work on my project!) and I greatly enjoyed the experience.

I liked that you had to go through the first main exhibit (the desert environment) to get to the second (the rain forest environment). The rain forest exhibit had a stairway (or an elevator, but I decided to get my exercise and take the stairs) that led up to a second level where one can look out and see the top of the plants and a few more butterflies that were fluttering around. I personally liked the way the museum was laid out and wouldn't change much, though there was one room (and Anna can attest to this) that was rather dark and it was right after a very light room, so I couldn't really see where I was going. I managed though...the room wasn't too big and there was only one way out and nothing really to walk into or trip over. So perhaps, if I were curator of the museum, I might put a small light in that room. :]

In talking briefly to the women involved in the environmental education (I think that's what their business cards said), I got some great ideas for a project. I might do something on the carbon footprint of Cleveland or Botanical Gardens specifically, since they said that the glasshouse would be getting a "green roof" and they also suggested I could write about the environmental impact the plants themselves are making on local environment and such. I'll be looking into this topic a lot more and I'll definitely be doing an interview or two in the next two months!

7 comments:

Sethna said...

Props for getting started on your project!

little miss laura said...

Thanks! :]

Alphie said...

Heh, your description of the rain forest their reminds me of the one at the zoo.

Good times...

=p

Great job at getting started on your project!

I'm jealous.

=)

Anna C said...

It was good that you took the initiative to talk to someone about your project and ask them specifically what can be done in the Botanical Gardens. I enjoyed the gardens too and that room was pretty dark.

Lienne said...

I'm also happy that you got your project under way. Good luck!

Jeff said...

I didn't go to the Botanical Gardens this time, but I've been before, and I agree with you. The way that they have several sections all with a certain theme is pretty cool.

First Knight said...

I am also interested in plant on the impact of the environment.

Our next trip will cover the slow food movement. I hope you will all be inspired to eat locally grown. It is better for our local economy, for the overall food and environmental policy, and for our owns diets.

I think everyone should plant something this year. The impact might be small, but the rewards are great!