Thursday, January 29, 2009

University Circle Museums

Visiting the Historical Society and the Botanical gardens was a very fun experience for me. The Botanical gardens I always enjoy, more so in the summer because of the outdoor plants though. The Historical Society, on the other hand, I have never been to. I was very surprised by what the lady that worked there had to say and show us. I thought it was neat how they have records from people living in the area all of those years ago and how we are still recording at all today. It amazes me that someday people will look back and see how we were living and what was important to us in our time.

The lady at the Historical Society mentioned that they work with Hale Farm and I thought it would be useful to look up information about the lives of people there and apply that to my project. Also it would help me to contact Hale Farm again and talk to them about interpreters teaching students how to role play as the people who lived at Hale Farm. I think this will expand the education of students on the history of the valley as well as teach them better public speaking skills. Being an interpreter could be a great experience for students.

In regards to the Botanical Gardens, if I were curator, I would make use of more of the empty space in the lobby and around the gift shop for plants. The desert area was nice and the rain forest area was very pretty. I like how they raise butterflies and release them in the rain forest setting. I liked seeing the birds there too. If I a curator there I would probably expand and create a larder indoor plant exhibit so people will stay longer in the winter. If there were more rooms with different environments, people might walk around more and go back and forth between the rooms instead of just meandering through one way only without going back to previous rooms.

8 comments:

Sethna said...

If you were the curator you could also instruct the nice blonde lady at the desk to stop being so niggardly and ask 2 million questions about why I need to go to the cafeteria to eat food. And taking my license. Like I'd STEAL the stupid lunch pass.

little miss laura said...

That's a cool comment about people looking back at our time in the future...I hadn't thought of that, and it's funny to think that maybe in 100 years or so, they'll think WE'RE backwards and uncivilized! haha!

I like your idea (and reasoning) for the project...it'd be great if teens could get speaking practice, along with some acting practice if they're doing the role-playing..I'm sure I can think of a few people who would LOVE that! :]

I totally agree with you about having more indoor exhibits, and that's a good point you make about the lobby being empty-ish. It WAS kind of open and empty.

Alphie said...

I was only in their for lunch, but the museum didn't seen so fun during the winter, so I'm going to agree with your idea of expansion.

Anna C said...

Cyrus, I really don't think your comment about the blonde lady was neccessary.

Lienne said...

I think we all need to get over the fact that Cyrus says some stupid stuff sometimes. It's really redundant to read all the comments about Cyrus' immaturity.

Other than that, your post really gave me some insight as to how the Botanical Gardens look and some good suggestions as to how it could be better.

Jeff said...

It is true about its openness and emptiness, although maybe that was intentional. For architectural reasons or something.

Sethna said...

I don't think that second "c" was necessary.

First Knight said...

What about displays on native Ohio plants and urban gardening, as well as local foods? Make this insipring place one that has people go home and grow something!