Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Tour of Akron

Akron succeeded as an industry mostly because it had the canal. The canal transported goods faster than any other method of transportation at the time and also provided jobs for the people of the area. Men had jobs building the canals and locks, cutting the stones, and building and working ships to use in the canals. There were plenty of jobs available. Akron also succeeded because of the tire companies that were started there like Goodyear and Firestone. These places thrived because they were some of the first places to make rubber tires and they somewhat monopolized the business. This industry probably could have thrived other places though too, like Cleveland.

Akron is moving towards a more communal setting with houses in a more neighborhoodly order. They expect young people in business to move in and the way the houses are set up, they are trying to create a nicer community setting with people on their porches and garages in back as opposed to in front of houses. Economically, Akron is getting more involved with Polymers by studying new uses for them, like enzymes. One thing they are learning how to create is polymer bandages to heal skin quicker on burn victims.

Akron is a great city because it is trying to bring people from all angles by creating a more community setting yet still supporting industries there. The polymer lab probably helps to draw in many students interested in the field and the city's history also helps bring people in, like the hotel that was converted from the quaker oats building. The Cuyahoga Valley helps connect Akron with Cleveland because of the many paths and the railraod that bring the cities togethor. People can travel to each city easily and see the beautiful scenery on the way. In the past, the canals have been able to connect the cities through trade and business. I honestly can't think of anything Akron is majorly lacking in, but it is not a perfect city and there is definately room for growth.

7 comments:

Alphie said...

Nice post, very detailed and organized.

I actually enjoyed reading, no joke.

=)

--Ashlet--

Andreas Johansson said...

Very Nice! I especially like your observations stemming from the day's trip. You last comment, "but it is not a perfect city and there is definitely room for growth" is very good. It shows your keen eye for critical thinking - oftentimes, people are all too quick in their studies, and leave out the 'details'. Well done.

Sethna said...

I like your not quickness in your studies. This is going to help you a lot when it comes time for AP essays. Details are oh-so important.

I think Akron would be better if we just turned it into the homeless capital. That way the City doesn't have to feel so bad about not being the rubber capital anymore. We could take all the homeless people and send them to Akron, they way they can call the city their home. The trick is making sure that they outside, otherwise they won't be homeless anymore.

Everyone wins.

First Knight said...

I am not sure where Cyrus is coming form?!

But I liked your post Anna.

I would say that you are too generous with the city. What kind of improvements could be made? Raising the question is good - answering it is better.

Did you know that the city, county, and state governments, along with the business and academic community have recently just worked out huge, expensive plans to rebuild the Goodyear and Firestone headquarters in order to keep those vital companies in town?

As far as travel between Akron and Cleveland, there is one glaring weakness. We need a mass transit, high speed rail, better bus service, something that would connect these areas. When that is in place we need better light rail services to get around town.
Thoughts?

By the way Cyrus, do you remeber when Johansson and I brough the people from ODOT in 2 years ago to talk about the Route 8 project? You were the one who challenged them on building public transportation!

First Knight said...

Sorry about the typos in this entry. I should have previewed before I posted.

Sethna said...

Oh, woah woah. I just got that creepy tingly feeling in my stomach. I do in fact remember this incident and I left a comment about it above in someone-who-I-don't remember's post.

My last post was a sheepish attempt at humor. However, a week later, I think I can leave some serious feedback.

You did a good job of talking about Akron's history and discussing the things that we learned that day.

I found the polymer science building to be less fascinating that I would have found it 2 years ago, but that's only because my interests have changed. I did however find the part about the polymer bandages rather interesting. I also liked the laser.

I think that you were lacking in your analysis of the City's flaws however. It's nice to look at things through rose-colored glasses, however, Akron does indeed have its share of flaws.

Anna C said...

I know Akron has flaws I just have a problem pin-pointing them. I'm not neccessarily looking through rose colored glasses as much as just not being able to identify the problem, although I know there is one.